Wednesday 17 October 2018

RETURNING WHITEFRONTS AND A JACK SNIPE

I paid an afternoon visit to WWT Slimbridge today; a mild and bright afternoon. There had been reports of a Jack Snipe from the Martin Smith Hide over the past few days but there had been no reports yesterday or this morning, so I was not exactly hopeful of seeing this elusive bird, which would be a nice tick for my list for the year.

On arrival at the centre, I made for the hide in question, but, unsurprisingly, it was empty, and although I scanned the islands no snipe was evident. I did the rounds of the other hides on the Holden Walkway then ended up at the Holden Tower. Whilst there I heard rumours that the first four white fronted geese of the season had returned, and could be seen from the hides but later I was told that they had moved away. From the tower could be seen a couple of cranes, and a large flock of greylags which were put to flight by a low flying helicopter. Apart from that it was pretty quiet. 

A visit to the South lake hides, produced views of snipe, further cranes, black tailed godwits, ruff and the usual ducks but I was most interested to hear that the 'guide in the hide' had seen the jack snipe that morning but it had retired to a spot behind the reeds. With that news, I decided to return to the Martin Smith Hide and as I approached it I could hear voices and indeed, inside, a number of people had their telescopes and lenses pointing at the island. The jack snipe is back, I was told, and I could immediately see it, feeding and bouncing as is its habit. It was great to watch it  for a while, not having seen one before. As a bonus, the four white-fronts  could be now seen amongst the greylags. All in all a pleasant afternoon with a some nice highlights to end the day.
jack snipe





video of jack snipe (apologies for  voices in the background!)



common snipe

teal

crane
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...