Saturday 22 June 2019

BENTLEY WOOD TREE PIPIT

I got up early and drove down to Bentley Wood near Salisbury this morning to look for Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, which is a species I have yet to see.  The weather was warm as I walked from the car park to the Eastern Clearing and a few butterflies were already on the wing. I found my first ringlet of the year, plus marbled whites, meadow browns, large skippers and some common blues. Sadly no small pearl bordered fritillaries appeared; I had obviously missed them but, haven't had an opportunity to visit  until now. 

However, as I made my way through the clearing, I spotted a pipit-like bird perched on a wooden fence post. Unsure of its identity I  managed a photo, before it flew up and landed right at the top of a tall pine tree.  It proceeded to sing for a while, then suddenly lifted itself off from its perch, singing, and then returned to it again. It did this every five minutes or so, sometimes flying to a nearby tree, then returning again to its  original perch.  I recalled that 'tree pipit' was   among the sightings in the car park log-book and realised that this must be it!  Not having seen one before, it made up for the lack of small pearl bordered butterflies! 
tree pipit


ringlet


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...