Friday 28 June 2019

SILVER STUDDED BLUES AT SILCHESTER COMMON

Having  added Large blue butterflies to my sightings list yesterday, it was time to look  for another blue, this time the Silver Studded Blue. Some years ago I discovered that these could be seen in an area close to where my daughter lives, so  this afternoon I headed  over to Silchester Common, to see if any were flying there yet. 

From the car parking area, I entered the common and followed the footpath for several hundred yards to an area of heathland and gorse. In the very warm afternoon sun, it wasn't long before I found the butterflies I was hoping for. Several were  fluttering low over the clumps of heather, regularly settling with open wings. I saw 15 - 20  within the hour I was there (mostly males), also a few very tatty looking common blues. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...