Thursday 27 June 2019

WARM AFTERNOON AT DANEWAY BANK

After some cloudy days, the sun finally came out today,  and the temperature started to rise. I went straight to Daneway Banks from work, to try to see some Large Blues. I chose the higher path from the gateway and straight away I was drawn to a blue butterfly which I saw land, wings closed for a minute or so.. my first large blue of the afternoon. A quick photo, and it was off again. 

I spent a couple of hours traversing the slopes and the paths, and saw about half a dozen more; only one of which settled, and kept wings firmly closed, which I understand is common behaviour when it is sunny. Later on I saw a pair mating. I think I might do better if I try a late afternoon/evening visit, or slightly cloudier day. 

Other butterflies seen included lots of marbled whites and meadow browns, and a skipper (not sure which one) , dark green fritillary, several small heaths and common blues and my first Painted Lady of the year. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...