Tuesday 4 February 2020

LESSER WHITETHROAT IN CWP











For several weeks now, an Eastern race blythi Lesser Whitethroat has been wintering at Shornecote reedbeds in the Cotswold Water Park. It has chosen a favourite spot, and appears to be very loyal to it, on the three occasions I have been to look for it, it has been found there. The path to the reed bed is very muddy at present, and at places covered with a few inches of water. However after crossing two fields you come to a place where  a stream runs along side the footpath, with some bramble covered hawthorn trees.
The whitethroat tends to feed, under the last hawthorn tree,  often obscured from view by the many twigs and grasses found there. However, by leaning against the fence and peering round, it is possible to see it from time to time.
Today I decided to make a further visit, to attempt to get at least one record photo of the bird. It was overcast with a slight chilly wind but the hedge gave some protection as I waited, hopefully, for the bird to appear. There were no other birders present, but I was fairly confident that the whitethroat would be there, having been seen yesterday and regularly in preceding days.
Several wrens as well as a chiffchaff were to be seen, but after 10 minutes I had my first glimpse of the lesser whitethroat.  From that moment I was able to watch it on and off for the next hour, occasionally feeding from the stream but mostly hidden.  Occasionally it would  break cover and fly to the opposite side of the stream, but then remain hidden behind the vegetation for five minutes or so before flying back again to its original spot. After a while I was joined by three other people, one of whom had brought some friends with him to see the whitethroat.  I was able to point out the bird to them almost immediately, and it gave some nice views, probably the best I'd  all afternoon! I managed a few record shots, however the dull weather and difficulty in focussing on the bird amongst the vegetation meant they weren't  great!





the stream beside the footpath ( the stream is on the left!)
the whitethroat prefers to feed beneath the hawthorn on the right of the photo

                                          







No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...