Monday 9 March 2020

EASY PICKINGS



It's not often I make an hour's journey just to see one bird, but today it was certainly worth the effort!

A lone waxwing has been spotted feasting on white rowan berries from a tree in a small Worcesetershire village called Blackminster, near Evesham; it's been there a week now, although   it was only drawn to my attention when I was reading some of   the blogs by local Oxfordshire birders. 

 I realised that I should be able to get there within an hour if I went straight from work today so with some sandwiches in the car, that's' what I did. Although many of the photographs I've seen show the bird's lovely colours against clear blue skies,  I knew it would not be possible today, with rain forecast later in the afternoon, but I  was hopeful of at least some photographs, providing the bird was still there of course!

On reaching Blackminster I drove across the railway crossing, where the bird has been feeding in the rowan tree right next to the gates. I couldn't  see anyone else there but thought I would park in the small carpark near some shops about  50 yds down the road and then walk back to see if I could find, firstly, the right tree and then hopefully the right bird! 

I turned ready to go back across the train tracks and but as I did so, spotted another birder who had obviously just arrived and as I passed him, I could also make out a sole bird perched a tree where he was standing, Encouraged, I quickly parked up and returned to the crossing.


The waxwing was feeding intermittently from the white berries; why it was just the one bird, I don't know, but at least the plentiful supply had  ensured  it had easy pickings and consequently has been around for several days, as a whole flock would have stripped the tree very quickly.

The sky was becoming quite overcast  as we stood there, but I managed to get a some photos of what is one of the best views I can expect to have of this beautiful bird. I guess I got  a bit carried away but here are some of the better ones!
















the rowan tree is a  small tree on the right just after the crossing barriers

standing next to the barriers looking back toward the row of shops where |I parked my car






No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...