Monday 2 March 2020

SLIMBRIDGE WWT

Today, I made another unsuccessful trip to try and see the tawny owl at Frampton on Severn but went on to visit Slimbridge Wetlands where I did manage to add another couple of species to my list for the year.   

With the return of some sunny weather and a drop in the wind strength it was a pleasant afternoon at the WWT Centre.  I made  visits to each of the hides ,but  having  less time than usual, didn't spend very long at each one. Nevertheless I did manage a total of 39 species today. The car park seemed full when I arrived at 1.30 pm,but there were not many people about, only one or two visitors per for the most part at each hide. The Bewicks swans seemed to have all gone, but there were still pintails around on the Rushy Pen. The geese were fairly close in at the Estuary Tower, and I was able to get a better view of the feral barnacle goose flock, with the bar-headed and snow x bar headed goose amongst them. 

Down at the kingfisher hide, a kingfisher was sitting perched on a branch outside the bank of nestholes, hopefully a good sign for later on.. and also the first I have seen so far this year. ..  Avocets are on the increase, but the cattle egret, little egret and male goldeneye had all disappeared from the South  Lake at lunch time. However,  I did manage to see them all on my last visit. 


snipe

curlew

(feral) bar headed goose

Bewicks swan. This one was not with the captive flock but alone in another area, I did wonder if it was the last Bewicks swan that had relocated, rather than migrated!

shoveler

kingfisher outside nesting hole

teal


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...