Saturday 27 June 2020

DRAGONFLIES AT WHELFORD POOLS

Another hot day - up to 30 degrees again, but there was a nice breeze blowing so I decided to pay another visit to a local nature reserve near Fairford known as Whelford pools. Here there  are a couple of ponds where a variety of dragonflies can be spotted. Surprisingly there were quite a few cars parked in the carpark and when I walked the short distance to the pond there were already a couple of people there with cameras,

A female with a brood of seven tiny ducklings was at the edge of the pond, hiding in the reeds, although they did venture out once or twice. Also a coot and one youngster. 

Plenty of common damselflies were present and I also spotted a red eyed damselfly, However I spent much of my time watching a male emperor  dragonfly patrolling the pond whilst a couple of females were egg laying in the water. There were also two brown hawkers making some close fly pasts but they didn't stop for photos. I think I will have to try earlier in the day or on a cooler day to see if they perch on any reeds. 
female mallard with her young brood of ducklings

female emperor dragonfly egg laying



No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...