Thursday 18 June 2020

FARMOOR DUCKS



Tuesday being still sunny and very warm, I drove over to Farmoor Reservoir for a short walk along the causeway and around F1, the smaller of the two reservoirs.  

Approaching the causeway I quickly spotted a dragonfly on the slipway, which when it eventually settled turned out to be a male black tailed skimmer. 

At the end of the causeway I stopped to look at the sectioned off area where there are a number of nesting rafts, currently occupied by a mixture of black headed gulls and coots. 

In that part of the reservoir were further mallards, and black headed gulls, also a another brood of ducklings, which I noticed were not a mallard, but a gadwall family. There was also a rather lonely looking smaller duck, which after a while I decided must be the recently recorded male garganey in its eclipse plumage.  I hadn't realised that garganeys were quite so small, but rather thought they would be approaching a mallard size. I suppose I have not seen any close up before. 

The walk around F1 produced  several more  mallards, some with  broods of ducklings and the odd tufted duck and great crested grebe. I also came across an army of greylags, stopped as if on parade which I found quite amusing to look at!


black tailed skimmer

gadwall and ducklings

gadwall

coot and chick

greylags standing to attentioin

er get up , you're on parade!

garganey


blackheaded gull chick

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...