Tuesday 9 June 2020

LARGE BLUE



The large blue butterfly is an endangered species in the UK and in 1979 it did, in fact, become extinct. However there have been some successful reintroduction programmes, one of which is at a Cotswold site known as Daneway Banks, and it was there I headed this afternoon. I've made the mistake on previous occasions of trying to see and photograph this butterfly on clear sunny days, however, I've learnt that in very sunny conditions it will keep its wings firmly shut, and therefore the best weather is a day when there is cloud intermingled with sun. The forecast for this afternoon suggested that there would be some sunny intervals interspersed with cloud, so I was hopeful of seeing a butterfly with open wings.
On arrival at the site, I enquired  from some returning visitors if they had seen any large blues, and was told they had found several which was encouraging. I took the lower track, which is signposted, and soon found a couple peering at a butterfly in the grass - a large blue with wings closed. Next to them they had located a pair of large blues mating.  When the sun came out there was an immediate fluttering of a mixture of butterflies amongst the grass, including meadow browns, small heaths and my first marbled whites of this year. 

From time to time I noticed a blue butterfly amongst them, so followed it to see if it settled anywhere; sometimes if flew off into the distance, at other times it settled down in the grass.  At the end of the lower path, there was a narrow path leading upwards to the area of  grassland higher up and I was told there were large blues there. Eventually I found one  which obligingly opened its wings, but this was the only one.

 Heading down the reserve once more, I engaged in conversation with a yorkshireman,  who was visiting from his home in Worcester, who showed me a particularly good  area to see the butterflies, as it had some thyme plants in flower which was attracting them. However, although I saw a few more individuals, none were keen to open their wings! I also learned from him some possible areas to find dragonflies including Paxton Pits - near where my sister lives- and Dry Sandford pit, which I visited recently.  

On the reserve today my butterfly sightings included red admiral,small tortoiseshell, speckled wood, meadow brown, large skipper, small heath, large blue and marbled white.








No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...