Friday 26 February 2021

SPRING IS SPRUNG!

 


In contrast to my previous entry, today was a beautiful spring day and I couldn't wait to get out for an afternoon walk, as it felt just the sort of day I might find my first Brimstone butterfly of the year. My car temperature only registered 7 degrees but it felt warmer. I initially decided walking boots might be sufficient but on entering the first field at Pentylands  Country Park (just down the road in Highworth) it quickly became apparent that the ground was still waterlogged so I popped back to my car and got my wellies out again.

I walked along the road for a bit before entering at the second gate and it wasn't long before I noticed a Brimstone butterfly flying along the hedgerow! For me, that's a sign that Spring is here. I watched it as it flew over a gate and then settled on some ivy, which surprised me as I usually find the  male Brimstones are constantly on the move as they look for a mate.  I couldn't get that close,  but nevertheless I was pleased to see my first butterfly of this year, although it was the only one I saw!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...