Wednesday 3 February 2021

NIGHTINGALE WOOD


 After the large amount of recent rainfall and the increase in numbers of people going for walks, it's hard to find somewhere that has paths that aren't covered in inches of mud. 

Today, however, I did find somewhere; only four miles from home lies a fairly new  woodland known as Nightingale wood. There is a reasonable sized car park, and a network of  paths which are well made. It is frequented by dog walkers, and also families, as there are areas which contain elements which make up a 'trim trail'. However, I have seldom found it busy and so chose to  visit for the first time this lockdown.

In the past I have seen bullfinches there and there are known to be redpolls though I have yet to find one! There used to be a bird hide but I noticed today that it had been taken down and there just remained the wooden base. In fact I didn't see many birds at all until I returned to the car park where a bird feeder  is situated a few metres from a picnic bench. This was  attracting a continual flurry of tits - great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits and coal tits. It's good to know there is somewhere you can go without having to squelch through mud, and no doubt regular visits would yield a few more bird species.

Back home I was please to have a brief visit to my own garden feeders from a male blackcap. Not a regular species but one I see from time to time. Hopefully it will return. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...