Friday 12 February 2021

FROZEN COATE WATER!

 




Having enjoyed my walk around Coate Water a couple of days ago, I thought I'd revisit. I was glad I had added some extra clothing layers as it was bitterly cold, despite the welcome sunshine. The dip


in temperatures had caused much of the large lake to freeze over since my previous visit, and there were groups of gulls, swans and geese standing motionless on the ice. The ducks, however, preferred to swim on the non-frozen areas in close flocks. 

I walked the opposite way round the lake today, wondering if I'd be able to add any more birds to my year total. I inspected the gulls more closely; it was somewhat easier to discern leg colour when they were standing on the ice and today I picked out lesser black backed gulls, on the main part of the lake, and a few common gulls at the far end. 

At the feeding area, I was firstly alone but later joined by two others with long lensed cameras, A greater spotted woodpecker was visible high in a tree for a few minutes before flying off and a jay also appeared briefly.   Maybe it would have ventured onto the log with peanuts if there had been less people around. The usual woodland species were taking seed from the fallen tree trunk. I decided to retrace my steps and return the way I had come, as someone mentioned that they'd seen a goosander near the bridge and siskins in front of the bird hide. 

No goosanders were around, so I took the path towards the hide, the hide, of course,  was closed, but there was viewing from the side and I stood close to the hide itself to watch what came to the feeders. The lake in front of the hide was completely frozen...and empty.... but the feeders were attracting plenty of smaller birds such as blue tit, great tit long tailed tit,  and below them,  a couple of robins and a dunnock. A female greater spotted woodpecker suddenly flew onto the peanut feeder and stayed around for some time. At one point it froze still...a sign that another woodpecker might be in the area, and in fact  not one but two more woodpeckers arrived-I couldn't discern if male or females, but after a bit of movement higher up in the trees, they both left. No siskins this time either! 

canada geese with gulls on the ice

geese on the bank with ice in the background


two common gulls



common gull - a new species for the year








the only photo I could get of the jay
female greater spotted woodpecker












No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...