Saturday 3 April 2021

EASTER SATURDAY IN THE FOREST OF DEAN



Easter Saturday was a free day for me so I headed east into the Forest of Dean to take advantage of the better weather there. I left at  730 am and duly arrived just after 830 in the Speech House Woodland carpark where there were already a few cars parked. I followed the signs for Woorgreens Nature Reserve as I knew that would take me out on to the heathland where I was going to look for the great grey shrike which is still being recorded there. It was dry but quite chilly as I walked and few people were about as I scanned the area for the bird with no success. I did see my first stonechat of the year though. 


stonechat (m)

path to Crabtree hill looking for Great grey shrike

I stopped to speak to a couple who were approaching me on the path, and as we were discussing the shrike, we suddenly saw a grey and white shape fly across from our right and land in a willow. Using binoculars we were able to confirm the bird was in fact the great grey shrike, but it was much too distant for any photos. I headed  down to the path below. where I would get closer, but though I could hear it calling, it was obscured from view and I didn't want to go past the tree in case I disturbed it.  However, it subsequently flew from the tree across the heathland where I couldn't see it any longer. Although disappointed at not getting any photos, I was pleased that I had managed to see the bird again this year. 

After returning to my car I then travelled the short distance to RSPB Nagshead reserve. The visitor centre and hides were closed but nevertheless the trails were open. As it was still only 1030 am  I decided to do the longer trail which would take an hour and then have my picnic lunch in the car before heading down to the Lower Hide. Although a pleasant walk, through woodland and heathland, the only new birds I saw on the long trail were a couple of stock doves.  On my return I decided to call into the Campbell Hide area; although the hide itself was not open, it was possible to have the same view by standing next to it and on my arrival I found a small herd of roe deer in good view.  No other birds of note apart from a quick fly past from a grey wagtail which made up for yesterday's lack of sighting!. 

roe deer


stock dove


However, the Lower hIde proved more productive with some good though distant views of a pied flycatcher ( my first for over 40 years!). It  was flitting between a holly bush and a small island on the pond. Again very distant but nevertheless easy to spot with its striking black and white plumage. On the pond there was also a pair of mandarin ducks. 

the hide is on the right of the picture, so it was possible to get similar views by standing right next to it

the flycatcher was flitting between the holly bush on the left and the bushes on the island to the right

pair of mandarin ducks on the pond

pied flycatcher







No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...