Friday 9 April 2021

RSPB OTMOOR

I had planned to go into school today but was contacted at the last moment to say it was cancelled. So that meant I had a day free. I'd mentally listed  Otmoor as a place to visit once the 'stay at home' direction had been lifted so although it was already 9.30, I decided to pack a picnic and go.

The weather looked promising, despite a more gloomy weather forecast and in fact it  stayed mostly bright or sunny for my entire visit. The carpark only had a couple of spaces available, but I was glad to find one close to the entrance where someone had presumably just left. After duly displaying my RSPB members card in the window, I set off down the track. At the first corner, someone had their telescope set up; as I anticipated, he was scanning for the glossy ibis which has been there for quite a while now. Although it apparently had been seen earlier, it was not visible, and disappointingly remained hidden for  the remainder of the time I was there. 

I did, however, get some good views of a couple of hares, though so close I could not avoid getting the wire fence in the picture!  

 Some of the early spring migrants had been arriving and I heard at least four sedge warblers though sadly none was in a position where I could see it  properly, if at all. A flock of linnets was feeding from the seed on the ground outside the hide ( temporarily closed) together with some reed buntings. I also spotted my first family of coots. Chiffchaffs were singing all over the reserve and cettis also calling, but remaining hidden for the most part. 

I visited both the first and second screens,  (my first time at the second screen - it is quite a trek!)  It was pretty quiet, although I did see a pair of cranes at the back of the lake in front of the  second screen, and a red kite, kestrel and buzzard above. 

The temperature became warmer than the predicted 10 degrees, and  I began to feel I had rather over-dressed!  However, it was  enough to entice a few butterflies out, including my first orange-tip of the year, which, predictably,  was in no mood to settle!  


hare


linnet



coot and young



reed bunting




comma

comma

peacock

cranes


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...