Friday 25 June 2021

BIRDS AND BUTTERFLIES

 

  


Today I spent most of the morning at Slimbridge WWT centre.  I had been planning to make another visit and I'd noted that the little ringed plovers on the Rushy Pen now had two chicks (a further two had been predated). There have also been sightings of a white spotted bluethroat from the summer walkway  so I thought I may as well take a look there just in case...

From the Rushy Pen hide I easily spotted the little ringed plovers; their nest with eggs had been protected with a wire cage but now the family were outside it by the water's edge. While I was watching, there was a bit of drama when a pair of jackdaws started taking an interest in the chicks so the parents feigned being injured to lure them away. However, the jackdaws flew off after a while and they were left in peace.

With not much else on to see from the Holden Walkway I headed out via the summer walkway towards Mid point where the blue throat had been seen. The reeds were blowing about quite a bit in the wind so it was not surprising that the blue throat did not make an appearance. However I did meet my cousin Jon amongst the birders so it was nice to catch up. 

As I had spent quite a while watching for the blue throat, I did not have time to visit all the hides today.  However, I did decide to explore a couple of newly opened areas of the Centre, namely a Nene goose area and a large  new aviary  where it was possible to get close up photos of some common waders. 

avocet and chick

avocet chick

greylag and goslings

little egret

little ringed plover chick

adult LRP feigning injury

adult LRP and one of the chicks



nene goose


greylag goslings asleep in the middle of the path!

shelduck ducklings

ringed plover in the aviary

redshank in the aviary

oyster catcher and redshank in the aviary

With the promise of some late sunshine,  I went home  and then headed out again to Bernwood Meadows in the hope of finding some black hairstreaks, as they only have a very short flight season, and I wasn't sure how much longer they would be around.

I didn't arrive till 4 oclock and there were only a few spells of sunshine although it was still failry warm. Knowing where to find the butterflies meant that I could  head straight for the blackthorn hedge near the entrance  to the woods and  it wasn't long before I saw the first small black hairstreak fluttering above the hedge. However it went down on the opposite side where I could not see it.  I only found 3 of these butterflies in total, and they only appeared when the sun came out. On one occasion, one individual did settle where I could get my camera focussed on it although it wasn't the best angle, but it was the only photo I could get from the hour and a half I was there. There were a few dragonflies around, including broad bodied chaser and emperor and just one small heath butterfly in the meadow flowers.  

black hairstreak



the hairstreaks were found on the blackthorn hedge to the left of the sign board at the rear of the field


broad bodied chaser f

broad bodied chaser m


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...