Monday 2 August 2021

CHALKIES AT BARBURY CASTLE

 

I took advantage of a short spell of sunshine over lunch time to head to Barbury Castle Country Park where I hoped to find my first chalkhill blue butterflies of the year. The gulleys surrounding the hillfort were awash with flowers and it wasn't long before I found my first 'chalkies'. The easiest place to see them was by climbing down to the bottom of the gulley where most of the butterflies were to be found though I didn't spot any females.  

I clocked up a respectable 11 butterfly species over all so was  pleased with that.  In addition to the  chalkhill blues, there were many large whites, meadow browns and gatekeepers; also ringlets, small whites, marbled whites, small skippers, plus a small blue, peacock and brimstone. There was also a skipper which could possibly be an essex skipper


chalkhill blue




large white
gatekeeper

essex skipper?



gulleys where the butterflies are mainly found







No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...