Wednesday 11 August 2021

SPOONBILL






I visited Slimbridge again today, as a treat for my grandchildren.  Whilst not there primarily to go birdwatching, we did look into the Rushy Hide on the way  to the Estuary Walkway where we were looking for the 'Wetland Heroes ' sign. Although busy with birds there was nothing particularly unusual to see. We then took a quick look from the top of the Estuary Tower which  was pretty quiet  before returning to the main visiting areas. Passing the Rushy Hide again  I noticed that a good number of birdwatchers were now in the hide so I enquired and found that a spoonbill had just relocated there from another part of the reserve. 
Coincidentally, last time I took the children here, there was a spoonbill on site though much more distant. This time I allowed the children plenty of time to look through the binoculars and notice its spoon shaped bill. However they couldn't   appreciate that the sleeping bird to the right of the picture  was in fact a spotted redshank!










No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...