Friday 29 October 2021

OARE MARSHES

 


I had an unexpected opportunity to do a bit of Kent birding this afternoon  so headed over to a popular birding site near Faversham known as Oare Marshes owned by Kent Wildlife Trust.

It was a beautiful autumn day with temp of 16°and with a low tide there was a large area of mud flat exposed which was attracting a variety of waders.  I spotted  up to a dozen avocet, several redshank,  a couple of curlews along with some other  distant waders which I was unfamiliar with but checking with the information boards, I realised they must be winter plumaged grey plovers which I hadn't seen before.   There were also half a dozen or so  ringed plovers. 

A face book post earlier the day had also mentioned the presence of an eider duck but I  wasn't sure if it was still there or where it might be. So I was pleased when I found someone who pointed it out in the estuary  though  very distant. I could just make out its distinctive black and white plumage and bill shape to enable me to include it in my year list. Perhaps I will make 150  after all!

 a few avocets on the mudflats

the eider is the white speck towards the left of the photo!!

redshank


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...