Saturday 13 November 2021

IT'S AUTUMN

 The autumn colours are beautiful at the moment and I have been out on several occasions this week enjoying the exceptionally mild temperatures.

On Thursday I had a stroll around the lake at Coate Water, whilst the following day I joined the local U3A birders group walk at Lydiard Park.  

Today, however, I went over to Slimbridge hoping to see some of the newly arrived Bewick swans. So far there have been 10 arrivals and my first point of call at the Rushy Hide allowed me to see a few of them. There were a good range of birds on the ponds here including pintails and a lone avocet. Further along the walkway I spent some time watching some redwings feeding on berries and some fieldfares higher in the tree tops. I also saw a chiffchaff along the edge of the reeds; not where I was expecting to find it, I have to admit. 

There were a range of geese to be seen from the estuary tower, including, greylags, canada geese, barnacle geese, a Ross's goose, and a hybrid bar headed. Despite scanning the greylags I couldn't spot the white fronted geese though. 

I heard the water rail calling from near the willow hide but it didn't appear; something to look forward to on a future visit hopefully. 

autumn at Coate water

black swan and mute swan at Coate


Lydiard house


Canada geese heading for the lake at Lydiard Park


Newly arrived Bewick swans at Slimbridge





fieldfare

chiffchaff

redwing

long tailed tit


Hybrid goose amongst Barnacle flock

Bewick cygnet


pintail

Bewick swan





No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...