Tuesday 26 October 2021

VERY QUIET AT SLIMBRIDGE



 It's half term this week and with nothing planned I decided to pay a visit to Slimbridge. The weather was rather dreary but it was nice to get out and see how the numbers of wildfowl are increasing ahead of winter. 

Some newly returned pintails were on the Rushy Pen; hopefully it won't be long before the first of the Bewick swans start to return too. I believe morning feeds have already started and there were certainly large numbers of geese and ducks there. Most of the other hides were pretty quiet, I waited for an hour or so in the Martin Smith hide where a bittern has been seen on a couple of occasions recenlty but not today. A sparrow hawk passed through quickly, and there was a flock of wigeon grazing on the field behind the pool. There was also a little egret and heron. Other than that there weren't any particular highlights although I did see a respectable total of 39 species. 













No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...