Thursday 25 November 2021

SNOW BUNTING AT CLEEVE HILL

 



This afternoon I had originally planned to go over to Blenheim  to see if I could spot some bramblings amongst the finch flocks that had been reported there. However, I  thought I'd just check the Glos birds twitter sightings before I left 'just in case' and was drawn to a report that a snow bunting was still at Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham where it had been for a few days and it gave a precise location. These birds, which breed mainly in Scandinavia,  are usually found near the coasts of the UK during the winter so it would be a  great opportunity  to see one nearer to home especially as  I've never seen a snow bunting before.  I knew where Cleeve Hill was  so I swiftly changed my plans especially as  I know that they can be very confiding and often feed in the open which would make it easier to find and might provide some  good photo opportunities. 


I drove the 40 minute journey to Cleeve Hill and parked in the carpark which is right next to the hill. I was unsure exactly where to find  the 'dew pond' so was relieved to find it marked on a map of the reserve at the entrance gate. It was only a 100 yards or so  away so I  headed in that direction I thought it meant. I noticed a couple of people ahead who had stopped for a chat, and thought Id check the exact location with them when I caught up with them. But  I didn't need to.. they were standing at the edge of a fence surrounding a pond, and there was the snow bunting feeding on the grass a few yards in front of them!! 
One of the people, who was walking her dog, soon left, and it was just me and the other person, who was also there for the snow bunting. 

The snow bunting was feeding on the grass quite happily for a while, before it flew up onto a fence post  then onto the barbed wire.  There was ample time to watch and take photos, as it  moved to various positions on different posts, wires, and the ground, never being more than a few metres away. We soon realised that some seeds had been left out for it, which was perhaps why it felt no need to go elsewhere. The weather had been gloriously sunny all day, but after watching the bird for an hour or so, it had started to become a little chillier and I made my way back to the car. It hadn't been much of a walk today but it was great to see such a beautiful little bird  at close quarters and I felt quite satisfied with my afternoon's outing! 










Dew pond at Cleeve Hill. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...