Wednesday 22 December 2021

BRAMBLING FEST BUT NO OWLS

 Today I drove over into the Cotswolds where I'd read about large numbers of bramblings and other finches feeding on a farm track. I wasn't exactly sure where to g- , the reports described a 'gate on a bend' so I used my OS map together with Google maps to check out some possible locations.  I eventually found the place I was looking for; there was space for a car to pull up in front of the gate, and I could see many birds on the ground feeding where a farmer had evidently been leaving seed for them.  With the weather being rather dull and the finches being very flighty with any movement I was only able to get a few photos through my front windscreen, with the bars of the gate making viewing difficult.  I will endeavour to come back when I have a little more time and the weather is brighter.

I then went on to a location where most years it is possible to see both short eared and barn owls quartering an area of rough grassland. With nothing to be seen, I walked over to the occupants of the only other car present.  I was told that the owls hadn't yet been seen this year, which was rather disappointing, but they did tell me that the area I'd seen the bramblings was a popular one for birders as the farmer puts out seed every year. Something to remember!  

Poor quality photos but shows the numbers of bramblings




No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...