Wednesday 15 December 2021

GREAT NORTHERN DIVER

 


I paid a short visit to Farmoor Reservoir this afternoon on a rather overcast  day. The purpose of my visit was to see a juvenile great northern diver which had recently been reported there and was giving very good views. It wasn't my first sighting of this year as only a week or so ago there had been one on the Cotswold water parks which I'd been to see, though that one was more distant. 

I wasn't sure where it would be, so thought I'd wait until I met someone who looked like a birder and ask, but, in fact, as I started out along the causeway, I looked over to my right and there it was, probably about 30 m out from the shore!  I could easily have missed it as it was diving frequently and for long enough to not realise it was there. 

I continued walking and stopped to enquire from a group of three birders, whether they had seen the scaup which had been there for a week or more but it seemed as if no one had had seen it. I had intended to come before  but it looks as if I've dipped that one this year. 

However, as I walked further along, I did spot a cormorant struggling with a rather large fish... which he eventually discarded I think. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...