Friday 31 December 2021

OUT FOR A DUCK AT THE END OF THE YEAR



Having not succeeded in adding a scaup to my 2021 year list, I decided to try and rectify that on the final day of the year by visiting Farmoor Reservoir where a scaup has been present for a couple of weeks.   After a wet mornng, the forecast was for a   little sun at around 1pm so I drove over to Farmoor Reservoir

. It was quite blustery to start with but as I crossed the reservoir, the sun appeared from behind the clouds and the wind seemed to drop a little. I watched the great northern diver which has been there for a while now,  as it worked its way across the reservoir, diving for crayfish, and submerging for around 45 seconds each time. 

At the far end were groups of tufted ducks,  thankfully not too far from the shore,  and it was here I started scanning for the female scaup with its white flash around the bill. With the sun out, I soon found it,  as the white showed up well.  Hopefully both species will remain for a few more days so that I can put on them on my 2022 list too! 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...