Saturday 5 March 2022

BLASHFORD LAKES

 I'd often thought I'd like to visit the wildlife trust reserve of Blashford Lakes, near Ringwood, as I knew it was a good place to see woodland birds such as siskin and redpoll at their feeding station. So, when my original day's plans were cancelled, I decided to take the opportunity to go.

Usually I like to leave fairly early when doing a longish trip but as I only decided at the last minute I didn't start out until 9.30. However, the roads down through Marlborough towards Salisbury were pretty clear, although it was frustrating to have to keep reducing to a 30 speed limit to drive through the Wiltshire villages. 

After speaking to a warden, I was recommended 4 hides which would be worth a visit, the remaining two looked over a large lake and would only provided distant views with a telescope.

So I started by visiting the woodland hide which was close by. I have  heard reports of this hide causing some frustration to photographers as there is only one window that opens; the rest of the hide has one way glass which means that you can watch the birds but they can't see you and limits photography. When I entered, this prime spot was already taken by a couple, with other visitors seated around the hide.  After about ten minutes, I asked if the people by the window would mind if I stood behind them to take a couple of photos, and they said they were about to leave so I could have their space! They had tried for several weeks to get this spot, they told me, and eventually had succeeded! The feeders were busy with birds, mainly siskins, but also a few redpolls, a nuthatch and goldfinches. On the ground were lots of chaffinches, a reed bunting, and I did spot one brambling in the trees.

The second hide overlooked a large area of water where there many ducks and gulls; a kingfisher flew past and a little egret landed in some reeds. 

The third hide was empty, so I decided to start my picnic lunch. A kingfisher landed fairly close, but again the most of the windows were not suitable for photography and I couldn't position my camera to focus on it through the open one. A bittern was reported here yesterday, with good views but apparently may have moved on, as the previous night had been clear.     However,  I had nice views of a little egret which was fishing in the channel in front of the hide, though I didn't see it catch anything substantial. 

To get to the Tern hide, it was necessary to walk back down to the road and cross over into the main car park ( I had parked in a smaller one near the visitor centre). The hide looked new, and smart and looked over Ibsley water, but the bird life was distant.  I was shown a  very distant slavonian grebe which I could just about identify by zooming in my camera. 

After an enjoyable and relaxing three hours at this reserve,  I decided to return home, this time my Sat Nav directed me via dual carriageways and motorways, which, although longer was a more straightforward route. 

redpoll




siskin




little egret



kingfisher - taken through glass!

great crested grebe

feeding station at the woodland hide

the woodland hide

brambling


nuthatch





No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...