Tuesday 15 March 2022

WHELFORD POOLS


 

I went over to Whelford today as it was a warm afternoon, hoping to see some butterflies as well as spend a little time in the bird hide. 

There was one other gentleman in the hide  and I was pleased to see that the bird feeders had all been recently filled and there was a lot of bird activity as a result.  Blue tits and great tits were the most active at the feeders as one might expect, whilst dunnocks and chaffinches fed from the ground and perched in the surrounding bushes and trees. A couple of dead  branches had obviously had peanuts hidden on them as they attracted a great spotted woodpecker as well as a jay. I could hear the explosive call of a cettis warbler coming from the reed bed in front of the hide, but unsurprisingly it didn't show itself. A tree creeper  visited a tree very close to the hide, but was too active to get any photos as it  quickly made its way up the trunk and out of sight amongst the branches. 

After a while I got up and went for a walk along the footpath leading between a couple of lakes, and heard and saw a chiffchaff and my first blackcap of the year ( a male hidden in the bushes singing) . On the lakes were tufted ducks and mallards and also several red crested pochards. 

I also spotted my first Comma (2)  butterfly of the year, sunning itself on the ground and saw some Brimstones (3) on my home from work.

blue tit

chaffinch

dunnock

greater spotted woodpecker

Comma - first of the year

jay

jay

view in front of hide

view  from side window of hide






No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...