Monday 28 March 2022

SLIMBRIDGE GOOSE FEST

 


On what might be the last warm sunny afternoon for a while, I popped over to Slimbridge WWT . It proved to be a bit of a goose fest with 6 species seen. Along the Holden Walkway the hides gave excellent views of a large flock of white fronts together with a flock of barnacles, the 3 snow geese, 2 pink footed geese and both Canada and greylag geese. I also  saw my first brood of 2 greylag goslings and a orange tip butterfly! 

A couple of male pintails were still around and I saw the male kingfisher outside the nesting bank. Sadly I was unable to find either the spoonbill or the pair of little ringed plovers although they had been seen earlier in the day. I had another look for the glossy ibis on the way out of the Centre but as on the last occasion it had flown off from its usual spot. 


redshank

greylag




white fronts

white fronted goose

Canada geese

pintails and white fronts

snow geese

barnacle geese




barnacle goose

views from the hides




greylag and gosling




snipe


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...