Tuesday 21 June 2022

RAVENSROOST


I usually make a couple of forays each year during June and July to some old woodland at Ravensroost, not far from Minety to see the woodland species of butterflies. Today was another hot and sunny day and I had heard that White Admirals have already emerged in the local area so I went over there after lunch. 

There is a main track which leads from the car park around some bends and ends at the far end of the woodland. Along this route I  found three White Admirals on the way and seven on my return. Only one of them settled and that was for just long enough for a quick photo.  No silver washed fritillaries though I was told a couple had been seen that morning. There were a few dragonflies and damselflies around the pond and in the meadow I saw my first ringlets and small skippers.

meadow brown

four spotted chaser


orchids alongside the main path

large red damselfly

white admiral

small skipper

ringlet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...