Thursday 25 August 2016

DISAPPOINTMENT... ALMOST!


Today the forecast was for sun and cloud during the morning so although it was still overcast, I optimistically made for Cherhill Downs to look for a range of late summer butterlfies.  When I got there, there was a humid feel to the air, but still no glimpse of the sun, but nevertheless In decided to take the steep chalk footpath to the top of the hill, and see if there was anything about. ( In the car behind a couple of mums and children were about  to take a picnic to the monument) so I waited for them to leave before following on a little behind. 
On the way up,  I met  a gentleman who said he'd seen a common blue, some wall browns and a small tortoiseshell, but no chalkhill blues.

Even as I got to the top, I felt the odd spot of rain, not exactly butterfly weather,  but I  walked on for a bit, then suddenly noticed something blue flying past, and it came to rest in the grass just behind me.  With just the underwings showing, I got out my camera, then suddenly  the butterfly opened its wings and revealed itself to be an Adonis blue, which I had not seen yet this year!  I also noticed a couple of meadow browns, and something else flying past, which could have been a tortoiseshell or wall, but flew too far away to follow. 

I  decided to return to the car, and as I reached it, down came the rain in earnest.... I wonder what became of the picnickers......?


At the top of the hill, the rain was coming in

Adonis blue

1 comment:

  1. lovely picture of the Adonis blue. we had quite a nice warm day here, just the odd spot of rain later on.

    ReplyDelete

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...