Thursday 1 September 2016

PEWSEY DOWNS NNR

Back to work for an inset morning , but we finished early so I decided to re-visit Pewsey Downs. 

I was pleased that  there were no  cows on the hill this time, so I trekked up to the top then down the other side, looking for butterflies as I went. Only a few meadow browns, a few whites, a couple of small heaths, 3 common blues, but plenty of small tortoiseshells. I could stand still and turn around and see at least 10 from a single spot on one occasion. 

Ever optimistic I decided to carry on a different path toward the white horse  as I had   read reports of clouded yellows several days ago. None were to be seen, but I then noticed a herd of cows at the top of the white horse who stopped and  looked at me and  then slowly began moving in my direction albeit at quite a distance. I retraced  my steps and was soon out of sight round the hill, and heading for the path down to the road, when suddenly I heard a noise behind and saw a running herd of young cows coming over the hill to my left;
thankfully they were following a path which crossed  the one I was on at a point I had already passed, rather than directly towards me, but  I did keep looking over my shoulder in case one might suddenly change direction!  I'm not sure I will be too keen to go there again! 
the white horse at Alton Barnes ( note cows in top right corner!)


one of many small tortoiseshells

common blue


cows heading off, having passed behind me!






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...