Saturday 8 October 2016

A TRIO OF SMALL WADERS

An overcast morning, but worth the trip to Farmoor reservoir to see a few small waders.

Having heard that a little stint was present, I made for the causeway which separates the two parts of the resrvoir. A flock of greylag geese was grazing on the grass hill adjacent to the carpark, and I soon spotted grey and pied wagtails as well the other usual water birds including little grebes.  Once on the the causeway, I kept my eyes peeled for the tiny wader I was looking for, and soon spotted  a small wader on its own, although I was unable to confirm its ID and after a quick photo, it flew off over the water.  However, a lady coming towards me asked if I had seen the little stint, and on showing her my photo, she confirmed it was in fact a little stint, recognizable by the white V on its back.  She then told me that it was now  feeding alongside a dunlin further along the causeway, and I soon spotted them both, together with a ringed plover. They were all feeding together, flew out over the water as a threesome, returning together to continue feeding along the shore line. 

Birds seen today included:
mallard, tufted duck, coot, little grebe, great crested grebe, black headed gull, cormorant, greylag goose, canada goose, grey wagtail, pied wagtail, little stint, ringed plover, dunlin. 


dunlin


little stint
little stint


ringed plover

little stint and dunlin

canada geese

pied wagtail

grey wagtail

a trio of small waders!

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...