Monday 3 April 2017

AFTERNOON AT FARMOOR.. & A DUCKLING DRAMA!

Another fine day and having seen that there had been a variety of birds at Farmoor reservoir lately, I decided to drive over there. 

As usual I walked across the causeway,  and spoke to a couple of people, but it was very quiet, the little ringed plover, black necked grebe etc were not about. I then decided to wander down to the nature reserve; from the hide were a couple of coots, reed bunting, great tits, dunnock and a tortoiseshell butterfly. Along the footpath I spotted several more butterflies, and spotted a male bullfinch amongst some blossom by the river. I also had great views of a blackcap singing. 

Back to the reservoir, and this time I noted a swallow, a couple of meadow pipits, pied wagtails and possibly a white wagtail as it definitely had a grey back. 

As I approached the end of the causeway I spotted my first ducklings of the year. A female mallard was swimming around with her brood next to a couple of boats. As I watched I became aware of some loud 'peeping' which was definitely too close to be from the brood out in the water. I couldn't see anything straight away, then looked down and could just make out a tiny duckling caught underneath some black netting on the other side of the wall. So I clambered down over the wall and managed to lift up the edge and let it out. It frantically ran for the water and swam quickly to its relieved mother who then swam away into the middle of the reservoir. I  wonder how it got there and how long it had been there!

orange tip

peacock

speckled wood

reed bunting


blackcap

black cap in full voice


bullfinch

robin



meadow pipit

white wagtail?

definitely greyer than this pied wagtail
the mallard family

the lost one, making a quick dash for its family
 the duckling was underneath this netting!




Birds seen or heard today:
bluetit, great tit, robin, dunnock, reed bunting, blackbird, chiffchaff, pheasant, blackcap, swallow, pied wagtail, white wagtail, meadow pipit, mallard, tufted duck, great crested grebe, cormorant, black headed gull, swan, greylag goose, starling, crow, bullfinch, goldfinch.


Butterflies:
brimstone, peacock, holly blue, speckled wood, small tortoiseshell, orange tip

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...