Tuesday 11 April 2017

TICKING ALONG IN OXFORDSHIRE

A nice reasonably sunny day out in Oxfordshire, adding a few more ticks to my year lists of butterflies and birds.  I  got to Farmoor's reservoir at about 1030, and I spent a couple of hours there.  Whilst walking along the footpath in the nature reserve, someone offered to show me a where a lesser whitethroat was singing, which was several hundred metres further along. However, hearing a few notes of the song, it did not carry on and  we could not locate it.   I decided not to go into the hide itself, as time was getting on,  but now wished I had asI see  a garganey was reported!!  Oh well...! After picnicking in the car, I drove round to Rushy Common, and watched from the hide for a while, a lot of the usual birds around, although nothing new.   Orange tip butterflies also  in abundance today, also brimstone, speckled wood, green veined white, comma, small tortoisehshell. 


Highlights from today were yellow wagtail, red crested pochard, common tern,   black cap, willow warbler, chiffchaff, swallow, reed bunting and common sandpiper (Farmoor) red crested pochard, oyster catcher, greylag and canada geese, lapwing, sand martin, teal, gadwall, lesser black backed gull. (Rushy) 
red crested pochards


yellow wagtail

speckled wood

green veined white

common tern and blackheaded gulls

female orange tip

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...