Saturday 1 April 2017

SPRING IS SPRUNG...

Spring has certainly sprung at Slimbridge WWT.   There is lots of blossom on the trees around the site, warblers are singing everywhere, even a brood of goslings!

I arrived at 9.30, making straight for the South Lake hide, hoping to see the spoonbill from yesterday, but it wasn't seen.  I was shown a mediterranean gull through a 'scope, and had good views of avocets. 

On hearing of a firecrest at Holden Tower, I then decided to make my way over there, I could hear it singing but it didn't appear while I was there, although several warblers did. I believe it was seen a bit later on. On taking a look at the Rushy Pen on my return, there was a family of greylag geese going for a wander just outside the viewing window. The first of the year?
I was able to watch the kingfisher pair entering and leaving their nest hole in the bank at the Kingfisher hide, and also heard and saw blackcap, willow warbler and chiffchaff. 

Birds seen today:
chiffchaff, willow warbler, blackcap, cettis warbler (heard only) firecrest (heard only), blue tit great tit, robin, wren, jackdaw, crow, rook, greylag geese, canada geese, cormorant, shelduck, gadwall, teal, shoveler, tufted duck, mallard, wigeon, mute swan, crane, mediterranean gull, blackheaded gull, black tailed godwit, ruff, oyster catcher, lapwing, pied wagtail, some type of martin/swallow, curlew, kingfisher.
avocets


curlew

greylag goose and family

goslings

jackdaw

kingfisher

nesting holes in bank on far side as viewed from hide


mallard - is it really that comfortable on that post?


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...