Monday 22 May 2017

BUTTERFLIES AT RODBOROUGH COMMON

Summer has returned and I made the most of my afternoon off.  Made a first visit to Rodborough Common, where a number of butterflies including the Duke of Burgundy can be seen, the latter being my target for the afternoon to add to my year's list.

A bit breezy over the common, so I didn't see many butteflies to start with but as I went down the hillside and found some more sheltered areas, I found some small heath,  common blue,  and a red admiral.  A bit further on, there was a nice sheltered gully where a number of little brown butterflies were fluttering about, which on close inspection proved to be dingy skippers, small heaths  and a single duke of burgundy!  Quest achieved! . Having taken  a few  photos I made my way up the steep hillside and found adonis blue and  small blue  on my way back to the car park.

Butterflies seen:
dingy skipper
duke of burgundy
common blue
small blue
adonis blue
small heath
red admiral

duke of burgundy


small blue


adonis blue




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...