Saturday 13 May 2017

SPRING BUTTERFLIES

I  had been recommended Cotley Hill, near Warminster as a good spot for butterflies at this time of year, and I wasn't disappointed on my visit this afternoon. After a cloudy morning, the afternoon was forecast sunny so I took lunch and drove the one hour 20 minutes journey to the aforementioned site.

Having spoken to a couple of chaps who arrived soon after me, as to which route to take, I walked up the narrow path and soon spotted green hairstreaks and a small blue. As the path opened out onto the chalk hillside, I was soon saw more species, including the notable marsh fritillary and adonis blue. Later a wall brown was seen, though unwilling to pose for photographs, preferring to hide under leaves.

After traversing the hillside and path for an hour or so, I returned to the car, having seen a total of 14 butterflies, including two completely new ones, and 9 new for the year. A worthwhile trip.

Species of butterfly seen:
green veined white, orange-tip, peacock, speckled wood, marsh fritillary, wall brown, small heath, small blue, brown argus, adonis blue, holly blue, green hairstreak, dingy skipper, grizzled skipper.

green hairstreak

adonis blue

grizzled skipper

marsh fritillary

orange tip

a hiding wall brown





No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...