Monday 11 June 2018

BLACK HAIRSTREAKS

This time last year I paid a visit to Whitecross Green Woods, Oxon and was rewarded with my first sighting of the rare black hairstreak butterfly. On that occasion I  managed to see about a dozen of these little butterflies, which at the time I was told was a good count for a first visit!

Today I drove over there once again, and there were black hairstreaks everywhere! Scores of them, I probably counted a dozen with ten minutes of my arrival. They were predominantly around some blackthorn and hawthorn bushes at the first junction of the rides. I even found a pair mating, but one of them seemed to have wings which were somewhat malformed. 

It was a hot day, so most were flying around the edges of the bushes, occasionally landing, but often in part shade or behind leaves!  I did manage a few photos though.

A few other species of butterflies were around, namely common blues, a few meadow browns and large skippers - both first sightings for this year.  I also saw a single red admiral, and a couple of people told me they'd seen two white admirals although I didn't find them even though I was told where they'd been seen. 


typical half hidden view!



this individual flew off as I pressed the shutter but gave me this blurred view of the open wings!

mating pair - note malformed butterfly underneath!

meadow brown

large skipper

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...