Monday 4 June 2018

SLIMBRIDGE CHICKS

May and June are always enjoyable months to visit Slimbridge WWT Centre. Breeding season is in full swing and around every corner it seems that you can see ducklings, goslings and  moorhen chicks etc. 

Today was no exception; as I arrived at Slimbridge, the weather brightened and there were frequent sunny  interals after a  rather dull morning, and as I toured the centre I saw adorable shelduck ducklings, greylag families at various stages and some tiny moorhen chicks as well as families of mallards and avocets. 

However, one highlight for me was the crane chick that hatched on the Rushy Pen only a few days ago.  Its parents had nested on an island visible via the webcam, and I saw today that the family had left the island and presumably were feeding amongst the vegetation.  When I got there, only one parent was visible, I was assured that the chick was there, but was so tiny that it could not be seen above the grasses. 

I waited patiently and then the other parent flew in, and as it waded toward them,  the chick appeared with its parent at the edge of the scrape. A few pictures, together with a short video clip are below. 








The other highlight of the day was watching a Little Grebe chick hatching from the Kingfisher Hide. I had heard that three had already hatched and as I entered the hide I was told that the fourth was hatching at that very moment and could be seen though binoculars/telescope.



little grebe family
 
adult removing egg shell after its chick had hatched.

greylag 


shoveler

shelduck family


mallard family

moorhen chick trying to stay dry?

shelduck and young

moorhen chicks

 young shelduck



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...