Thursday 28 June 2018

RAVENSWOOD

A couple of visits to Ravenswood nature reserve this week gave me my first sightings of silver washed fritillaries this year. With the hot weather continuing it was pleasant to stroll along the paths through the shady woodland. Plenty of ringlets and meadow browns around, also several whites, (including marbled white), speckled wood and large skippers. 

I also explored further into the  wood as far as  a pond where dragonflies and damselflies were everywhere, and in this area I saw a white admiral. Both purple and white letter hairstreaks have been seen this week at Ravenswood, but disappointingly I didn't find them. However, I did see and hear a couple of ravens after which the wood is named.


silver washed fritillary


white admiral





comma



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...