Thursday 27 September 2018

GWE

A visit to the Windrush Valley area gave me a further sighting  for the year... a great white egret. 

Firstly I visited the hide at Rushy Common; a peaceful lake scene where I noted herring gull, cormorant, greylag and Canada geese, red crested pochard, mallard, mute swan, black swan, bh gull, gadwall, heron, coot and moorhen.

Next  visit was to the two hides at Standlake; this is where I'd read that a great white egret had been located. From the North hide there were lapwing, coot, moorhens, and across the lake near to the second hide,  an egret, too distant to decide if 'little' or 'great'.

I walked round to the second hide, but realised that the egret I'd earlier seen couldn't be seen from the hide.  However a scan round the edge of the lake found the 'great white' in another spot, busy preening itself.. species tick number 142.

Still some butterflies making the most of the sunshine; brimstone, speckled wood, peacock, red admiral and small white.
 distant great white egret



red admiral on ivy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...