Monday 3 September 2018

HAMPSHIRE BUTTERFLY FIELD TRIP

This was my first ever butterfly conservation field trip, led by butterfly expert Ashley Whitlock from Hampshire. Some time ago I had made a note of this trip which was targeting three butterflies I had not  yet seen this year, namely, silver spotted skipper, adonis blue and clouded yellow. I worked out that I could make a wide detour on my route home from Kent at the end of the school summer holidays. 

So at 10.15 I drew up in the car park, at Old Winchester Hill. It was already quite warm and the forecast promised a cloudless day with only a light breeze.  Some group members were already there and the leader came up and introduced himself. I had brought a picnic lunch, which was handy, as I was told to bring it with me as we would have this part way through the walk. 

Since originally deciding to join this walk, I had managed to see an adonis blue and a few silver spotted skippers so really I was hoping that I would see a clouded yellow today, although I realised it couldn't be guaranteed as this is a migrant butterfly and could turn up anywhere. 

There were about 14 of us on the walk, mostly people of  around my age, and surprisingly more women than men. In my experience most butterfly enthusiasts have tended to be male! 

We explored the area thoroughly, negotiating several steep slopes to find the best areas for butterflies.There were good numbers of adonis blues in excellent condition as well as the more faded chalkhill and common blues. We also found brown argus, several small coppers and silver spotted skippers. All the time I was keeping an eye out for clouded yellows and all of a sudden I spotted a golden yellow butterfly crossing the slope just below us and over the hedge into field. Clouded yellow!  Sadly that the was the only sighting we had , but it made the final species of the year for me, giving a total of 47, an increase of one over last year and giving me a life species total of 50 (including a released monarch from last summer). 
adonis blue

silver spotted skipper

small copper

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...