Tuesday 25 September 2018

QUIET WWT AFTERNOON

spotted redshank
It was a very quiet sunny afternoon at Slimbridge today. Not many people about either so just a chance to relax and enjoy the beginning of autumn.  

The hides along the holden walkway were all pretty quiet, apart from a nice group of redshanks close to one of the hides. It wasn't until I looked more closely  at my photos at home, that I realised from the colouring of the beak and head that one of them was in fact, a spotted redshank!

From the Zeiss hide were a group of around eight cranes, three of which did a fly past. 

On the butterfly front, I found four species ( red admiral, speckled wood, small white and a  group of three small coppers). 


redshanks and spotted redshank

redshank

spotted redshank

spotted redshank


spotted redshank


red admiral

house sparrow


small copper

three cranes in flight

view from hide 

small copper

migrant hawker

common darter

 I also was shown a couple of dragonfly species by a lady who turned out to be Gloucestershire's county recorder. Maybe I should be taking more of an interest in them....

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...