Saturday 21 September 2019

ACROSS THE BRIDGE

When I last visited Slimbridge, someone suggested that a good place to visit was Goldcliff Lagoons just over the  Severn Bridge into South Wales. This is close to the RSPB reserve of Newport Wetlands so I headed there this morning. It looked like being the last of the spell of sunny weather for a time, so I left soon after seven o'clock and got to Goldcliff just after eight. 

One other car was parked by the roadside; after checking with a dog walker that this was the correct location ( no signs!) I started up the public footpath next to a cottage. l came across a grassy area where another car was parked and realised that I could have parked here too. 

The reserve consists of three salt water lagoons, and these can be viewed from a number of hides and viewing screens. The first lagoon was quite dry and all I could see from the window were some sheep who had freedom to graze around the hide.

From a further viewpoint I caught sight of  a kingfisher in flight; there were also several greenshanks, little egrets, and a heron as well as the usual ducks and gulls. A kestrel was hovering in the distance and grey and pied wagtails on the mud. 

Suddenly I noticed a large dark wading bird which had emerged from an island.. a glossy ibis|.  I knew that one had been seen here but I did not know that it was actually resident until informed by a photographer next to me. I hadn't been expecting it so that was a bonus.. and another year tick!  He also told me that there was usually a black swan about and a 'buzzprey'! ( a buzzard so pale it resembles an osprey!)

I continued along the footpath, noting the goldfinches and meadow pipits rising up from the scrub as I passed. A larger bird of prey also appeared over the bank.. the buzzprey!  I watched it fly off into the distance. 

At the last hide, I caught up with the black swan, there was also a peregrine sitting sillouetted on a distant bank against the blue sky. Taking a few steps up to the sea wall, some oyster catchers flew past and joined a larger flock further along the shore. 

After an hour and a half at Goldcliff, I drove the few miles over to Newport Wetlands. There were only a few cars in the car park so far and not many people around. I followed one of the trails, which was recommended by someone at the reception desk, though I have to admit there was very little birdlife to be seen. The reed beds were very high and restricted my view  somewhat, neither did I  hear or see any bearded tits. I did hear cettis warblers from time  to time, and on the mudflats by the estuary there were curlews as well as gulls. One one of the lagoons there was a little grebe and a few wigeon and gadwall. 

On reflection, had I known that the RSPB reserve would give only a few bird sightings, I would have stayed longer at Goldcliff.

Not a good day for photos as most birds were at a considerable distance, but I did have a decent total of 37 species, including another new bird for the year. 

Birds seen at the two reserves:

buzzard, kestrel, herring gull, black headed gull, grey wagtail, pied wagtail, moorhen, coot, heron, little egret, glossy ibis, greenshank, lapwing, little grebe, wigeon, mallard, teal, gadwall, shelduck, magpie, woodpigeon, whitethroat, chiffchaff, goldfinch, meadow pipit, robin, blue tit, curlew, peregrine, reed warbler, cettis warbler (H), mute swan, black swan, kingfisher, dunlin, greylag, swallow.


glossy ibis - poor record shot


view of lagoon where glossy ibis and little egrets were

peregrine



mute and black swans

mudflats seen from the sea wall where oyster catchers were feeding


view from hide at Newport Wetlands

wigeon

little grebe

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...