Thursday 19 September 2019

WADERFEST AT FARMOOR




In contrast to yesterday's distant wader shots, today's were as near as one could wish! 
With yet another sunny afternoon forecast, I clicked on the link to Oxon Birding and immediately saw that a little stint had been recorded at Farmoor reservoir this morning, only an hour earlier. I'd only had a distant view of this bird several months previously, so thought it would be nice to get a closer view and who knows what else might turn up there too!  It is often possible to get within a few metres of some waders when you look over the causeway at the shoreline. 

Walking along the  central causeway which divides the reservoir into its two parts,  I expected to see a group of  stationary birders which would indicate where the little stint was located, if still there. But  I was disappointed. However,  I continued walking towards the western end where the bird had been recorded earlier and then realised that there was a single photographer crouched down with his lens looking over the wall.  I crept towards him and peered over the edge. There were  spotted two waders, though neither looked like a little stint. One was a juvenile ruff but I was uncertain of the other. On enquiry I was told it was a knot.... a species not yet on my year list!   Both birds gave good photographic opportunities  but where was the little stint?! 

Getting into conversation, we admired the birds in front of us, and then I was asked if I'd already seen the dunlin and little stint back down the causeway near the hide!  I'd been so busy heading towards the western end that I'd missed them entirely!  However, perhaps I might be forgiven when I tell you that they were spending quite a bit of time resting on the shore, heads under their wings, and very much camouflaged. 

I retraced my steps and then found the two birds in question, being watched and photographed by another couple of birders.  It was interesting to compare the sizes of these two small waders and their similar markings. Both birds spent quite a bit of time resting, but with an eye open for any danger. 

On the opposite side of the causeway, hundreds of geese were gathered; Canada geese, greylags and a flock of barnacles were perched resting or preening on the stone slope leading down to the water. Amongst them was a lone snow goose.  Also seen were several little grebes, swans and coots, as well as a yellow legged gull. 

With four waders all at close hand, today was a good day out and  with my year list now  standing at 159 birds , I wonder where the next one will be? 


Postscript: On checking my yearly records, I have discovered that in fact the knot seen yesterday was in fact my 160th bird of the year.  Hooray! (  I'd  written 157 birds on my previous blog when it should have read 158!



view along causeway


juvenile ruff



knot


                                       
                                                             juvenile ruff and knot






dunlin and little stint


sleeping waders - well camouflaged

dunlin



little stint

little stint


                                      

barnacle flock

three types of geese

Canada goose

goose flypast


snow goose

mute swan



No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...