Wednesday 1 January 2020

FARMOOR ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE YEAR





Since Farmoor reservoir was introduced to me a few years ago when my interest in 
birdwatching accelerated, some of my best and closest sightings of water birds have been located there. These have included great northern diver, black necked and red necked grebes, grey and red necked phalaropes and, just before Christmas, scaup and slavonian grebe. 

With a few hours to spare on New Year's Day morning, I headed over to the Reservoir to see these latter two species and put them near the top of my 2020 bird list. It had been overcast at home, but it looked like it might brighten up  and by the time I had reached my destination it was clear and sunny. 

There were a few cars in the car park, and a number of birders armed with tripods bearing telescopes or cameras were chatting as they strolled towards the reservoir. 

I knew where the slavonian grebe was likely to be as it had remained in this area for the past week or so, so I made my way across the causeway to the NW corner of F2, the larger of the two reservoir sections. The air was still, and so was the water, and the mild temperature made it a pleasure to be out and about. 

As I approached the aforementioned corner of the reservoir, I soon spotted the slavonian grebe amongst the little grebes and tufted ducks. It kept diving and often would come up on the opposite side of the pontoon, before diving again and returning to the original side.  Being somewhat nearer than it had been last time I visited,  I was pleased to be able to take some better photos though the  low sunlight made it difficult to show it in its best colour. 

 Speaking to a fellow birdwatcher who was also there for the same purpose, I enquired if he knew where the Scaups might be. He pointed me to an area on the eastern side of F1 which necessetated a return across the causeway where he said one of them had been fairly close in. As it was nearly time for my return home, I retraced my steps back across the causeway, and found the scaup amongst a large group of mostly sleeping tufted ducks. The scaup was one of only a few ducks who were active so was easy to spot, although it had retreated someway out from the bank. But at least I could add it to my year list. I wonder if it will be the only one I see this year. Quite likely, as when I saw it for the first time in December it was a 'lifer' for me. 



a still and quiet Farmoor reservoir

a flock of geese flew across the causeway in front of me, greylags with a snow goose amongst them






little grebes

great crested grebe
the scaup was amongst the tufted ducks to the left of this building

scaup amongst tufted ducks







No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...