Thursday 15 July 2021

BACK DOWN TO THE WOODS

 


I went back to Ravensroost woods today during a brief spell of sunshine at midday today. Surprisingly the car park was empty on my arrival. I saw two purple hairstreaks and two white admirals together with many ringlets and meadow browns and  good numbers of silver washed fritillaries. The first hairstreak flew across the carpark as I arrived and settled in a bush on the opposite side. Unlike my last visit, no silver washed fritillaries were nectaring today, but I was able to take some photos of a white admiral which was on a bramble flower.

I also saw a four spotted chaser, brown hawker and lots of common blue damselflies. 

I keep hoping that I might find a white letter hairstreak; none have been reported this year so far and I didn't see any there last year either, despite having seen   one or two on a particular patch of vegetation for the previous three or four years. 

above and below  purple hairstreak


car park at Ravensroost the purple hairstreak settled in the bush to the right of the photo

white admiral








comma






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...