Friday 2 July 2021

HERE AND THERE

I visited a couple of sites south of Swindon today to see what butterflies were about. At Barbury Castle the most noticeable species was small tortoiseshells which seemed to be everywhere. I saw  some meadow browns,  large skippers and small heaths, just a couple of common blues and a single marbled white. I also had some good views of a skylark on a fence post. 

From there I visited Martinsell hillfort where I found more marbled whites, meadow browns and small heaths, and saw ringlets ( too active for photographs today)  and a small skipper, the latter two species being  my  first  of the year.

small tortoiseshell

large skipper


skylark






marbled white

small skipper




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...