Friday 16 July 2021

IN THE MEADOW



I spent an hour in a  nature reserve near Lambourn this morning looking for  meadow butterflies on this area of chalk grassland. Lambourn is very much the home of racehorses and as well as seeing half a dozen riders, I saw  signs for an Equine hospital, home for injured jockeys and some very posh stables! 

It was  forecast a hot day so I got there fairly early (9.30am)  and already the reserve was alive with butterflies. I was hoping for chalk hill blues but saw no blues at all; however I was pleased to find a single Painted Lady, first for the year and unseen by me in 2020. I also found one small copper - another first for the year - but it   flew off before I could obtain a record photo. 

There were large numbers of marbled whites and meadow browns, as well as small heath, small and large skipper, one small tortoiseshell and a ringlet. 

ringlet

painted lady

small skipper

small tortoiseshell

marbled white












No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...