Saturday 17 July 2021

SPOTTED AT SLIMBRIDGE


With Covid rules due to be somewhat relaxed from Monday, I thought I'd visit WWT Slimbridge today  before people started to ignore the distancing rules.  

On  the Rushy were a family of tiny shelducks,  gorgeous stripy black and white ducklings which were darting about the water watched by their parent. In front of one of the islands I also saw a sleeping wader which at first I couldn't identify. After a while it lifted its head and stood up and its red legs became visible. However it didn't seem quite like a usual redshank so I wondered if it could be a spotted redshank. I asked the other occupant of the hide what he thought and he thought it probably was. I was quite surprised as it was easy to see yet hadn't been mentioned on the Slimbridge sightings on twitter. I decided to  take some photos and check its identity once I got back home. 

Other birds on the scrape included several avocets, black tailed godwits and a green sandpiper in the distance. I also saw one of the juvenile little ringed plovers that have fledged from a nest earlier in the season. 

I spent the rest of the morning visiting the hides which were mostly quite quiet, before paying a visit to the newly opened walk through aviary. The birds in this exhibit included little egrets, avocets, redshanks, spoonbills and garganey which  it was nice to see at close quarters. I then decided to wait for a pelican 'talk; at the new wetland theatre seating area - whilst waiting we had the bonus of  watching a 'training' session for a grey crowned  crane, whereby it was trained to choose the most attractive out of two imitation cranes!

avocet

black tailed godwit and shelduck duckling

Little  ringed plover juv

shelduck ducklings


sleeping wader

down curved end of bill and orange colour on lower mandible distinguish as spotted redshank


spotted redshank



garganey in aviary

grey crowned crane



 
this one?




pelican




spoonbill in aviary








No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...